Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions. Nitrous Oxide does not affect reflexes and is meant only for very mild sedation. Nitrous Oxide has differing affects on people.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
- Nitrous Oxide is easily reversed and the affects can be reduced in as little as 30 seconds.